Thursday, April 24, 2008

What's for Dinner April 23, 2008

I love baking and I love homemade bread. I always make my own bread and I use the bread machine. But I don't like the square loaf and the hole in the bottom that the bread machine makes. So I use the bread machine on dough cycle and then bake in the oven. I get beautiful loaves this way! And yes, you can make fine sandwiches with it! :)

Menu
  • Pot Roast with Vegetables (Crockpot)
  • Herb Bread (homemade!)
  • Dessert: Fresh Honeydew Melon
Herb Bread Recipe (1 1/2#)
(the way I make homemade bread)


1 tsp active dry yeast
2 Tbs sugar
3 cups bread flour
1 tsp ground sage
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp parsley
1 egg
3/4 cup warm milk
2 Tbs butter
2 oz. warm water


Place ingredients in bread machine according to manufacturer's directions. I place the wet ingredients in first then place the dry on top and make a hole for the yeast which I place on top.
I run the machine on dough cycle. When the cycle is done- I turn the dough out on a board and punch it down. Then I place it in a 9x5 bread pan that is lightly greased.
I place it on the stove to rise for 30 minutes. Rising time will vary depending on temperature and weather. If it is cold I will preheat the oven now to warm the area and make the yeast happy. When it has risen enough, I place it in a preheated oven at 350 degrees F. for 30 minutes.
Enjoy!

No comments: